View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #196
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
In my jurisdiction, fine print is invalid if it contradicts the large print. I click a "BUY NOW" button on Amazon, not a "Lease Now". Clicking on the "How Buying Works" button gives further text which uses the word "purchase" repeatedly, with nary a "lease" or "license" or "rent" in sight. This particular example is untested in court, but I'm not calling it a foregone conclusion - tech companies have been hammered here on similarly misleading marketing, when they've tried to claim that the customer shoulda read the fine print.
You are buying a licence, just as you are with a paper book. When you buy a paper book you're buying a set of very restricted rights, too. You buy the paper, ink, and glue. You don't buy any rights to the contents of the book, and you are VERY restricted in what you're legally allowed to do with it. Bookstores don't explicitly tell you this - it falls into the category of "stuff the buyer is expected to know".

Last edited by HarryT; 05-12-2013 at 08:03 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote