Thread: Wool 1,2,3,4,5
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #44
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's just that the idea that you can achieve high levels of success without traditional publishing tends to get its nose bloodied a bit when high-levels of independent success seems to inevitably lead to the signing of a traditional publishing contract. *shrug*
I 100% agree! I've actually been terrified of the decision ever coming up. Because I don't want to make it. I would be giving up a LOT.

For instance. Right now, I can see what my hourly, daily, weekly, monthly sales are. With a big publisher, I would have no idea. I can't imagine giving up that ability to see what is working and what isn't.

I told my agent that a domestic publisher would have to offer me multiples of millions in order for me to even come to the table. I hope that keeps the question from even coming up. In our last round of submissions, the offers were in the low hundreds of thousands. We didn't even listen too hard to those offers.

I will say this: I think almost everyone has a price. I wouldn't be giving up my right to create the stories I want. Someone would just own this series. And then I'll release my silly zombie book like I plan to and let the publisher run wild with one world I came up with. I can invent a thousand others.

If I do go with a domestic publisher, believe me, I'll be sad about it. I'll be heartbroken. There will be no joy when my pen scratches my name. None. Believe that.

(Oh, and thanks for the welcome, everyone! (Hey, Stormchild) I'll try not to intrude too much.)
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote