View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK1962 View Post
Jude the Obscure (Hardy). Finished it, but it's one of those books that was (to me at least) so damn depressing that you want to lock the firearms away for a few days till you get over it.

A Theft (Bellow). Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for this one. I quit after about 35 pages of what appeared to me to be nothing more than Bellow being in love with the sound of his own voice. If there was a plot in the offing, he had certainly beaten it into submission up to the point where I quit.

I remember really hating Jane Eyre when I was forced to read it at school, when I was around 13-14. To be fair, I should revisit it, since it has prejudiced me against anything with "Bronte" on the cover ever since.
Ha! I loved Jane Eyre but I never read Jude or anything by Bellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
If I don't like a book, I generally can't finish it. The worst book I ever remember trying to get through was Erectus Walks Among Us. It was dressed up as an evolution book, but ti was actually a racist tract couched in evolutionary terms.
Yuck! Yeah, I wouldn't have finished it either and don't usually finish books I hate. I thought Before the Dawn was a good book about human evolution.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote