View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I don't think its too negative, in fact, I think this thread is a good idea.

Like you, I'm pretty easy going. I do not tend to hate books, but I have found my self either thoroughly frustrated by or disappointed with them. I found The Witching Hour to be both frustrating & disappointing; I did not finish it.

My Goodreads Review:

I gave the book "1" star. Those last statements came from the heart.
Yeah, I couldn't get into the Mayfair books, either, though I didn't dislike them too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I would say that these two were probably disliked by your personal preferences rather than them being bad books. The fact that both are classics says a lot for them.

Along the same lines, I have tried over and over to read Tolkein but I just can't do it. I keep hearing how I should love it but I'm just not a fan of fantasy. I'm sure they are well written but just not for me.
Oh, granted. I love Tolkien, myself, but my mom read me The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings here when I was a kid. She read A Wizard of Earthsea to me there as well. Probably explains my love for those books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I don't hesitate to give a book 1-star... I use Goodreads.com, and on their system 1-star means "didn't like it". So I'll 1-star a book, but it doesn't mean I hated it.

In the past couple years, I've 1-starred a few books:
Hands Off My Belly: The Pregnant Woman's Survival Guide to Myths, Mothers, and Moods
Elantris (Brandon Sanderson)
Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2) (Robin Hobb)
Starbound (Joe Haldeman)
Rama II (Clarke)
Ender in Exile (Card)
The Road (McCarthy)

The only ones that really stick with me as "oh god, don't ever read (or attempt to read) this again" are:
The Road (boring, writing was not for me)
Elantris (oh, the writing was PAINFUL)
Starbound (rapid perspective changes with no explanation of whose view you were currently reading)
I never heard of the other books but I did read The Road. I expected it to knock my socks off and it didn't but I didn't hate it. Have you read The Passage? Best. Post-apocalyptic. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey_isler View Post
Hmm, interesting thread :-)

I have to say Atlas Shrugged is the worst novel I've read. Although I'm hardly a fan of Objectivism, I figured I'd give the book a fair shot and be...objective. But I found the book long, implausible, repetitive, and just plain difficult to read.
Heh. Since I'm not an objectivist, I'm sure Atlas Shrugged would be on my hate list if I ever read it.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote