View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I would like to know what can I expect from Kindle DX and manga/comic/picture viewing:

- does it display JPG and PNG natively (without conversion)?
- can I organize the pictures in folders (a folder for each album/book)?
Yes, it can display JPG and PNG natively (as well as BMP and GIF). You can also organize pictures in folders or keep them in zip achives. Picture rendering is a little slow though and can take a few seconds for a single page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
If I were you, I would wait until Amazon releases the new Kindle DX. Amazon will no doubt release the new DX with color technology (probably mirasol) and if comics are one of the things you want to read, color makes the experience better imo. Personally I am moving to an iPad in 60 days because one of my primary uses is comics and an LED backlit color touch screen will be great for that, but I have loved using my DX.
I don't know how soon color is coming to the Kindle. I think Amazon's current public stance on this is that they are researching color epaper technologies but are not happy with what is out there right now. For manga it shouldn't make too much of a difference since most pages are in black and white anyways, but a color Kindle DX would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Between comic books or manga, I read much more manga and the kindle is just perfect for it.

The iPad, without USB or memory card slot, is a no go for me.
Kindle doesn't have USB or memory card slot either (well, it has USB, but that is only for charging and connecting to a computer, not for connecting external storage). What makes me like the Kindle over the iPad is the screen... I much rather read manga on an epaper screen than an lcd screen, even if I have to sacrifice color on the few pages (like covers) that have color.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote