View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #19
N0NJY
Time Traveler
N0NJY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Main stream media is jumping on the nook bandwagon big time, but they are neglecting to mention the facts about nook. Before you decide to buy a nook, you should consider this:
Considering....

Quote:
(To be fair to the nook, it is good in a lot of ways, and I posted a thread about its positives here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60099)
I'll read this later.

Quote:
1. B&N's book prices are considerably higher than Amazon's.
Can you say Price wars...

Quote:
2. The Lending feature is seriously flawed; they will have to impose a 1 or 2 lending limit or people will just lend the book over and over again.
So WHAT? I have 10,000 books in my personal library. I lend them out all the time, to whomever I wish for as long as they need them. If I purchase a book to read it's mine to burn if I wish.

Quote:
3. Free Wi-Fi without a browser is about as useful as free internet on a clock. And you can only access B&N's overpriced store with it.
Hmm no browser yet?

Quote:
4. Very limited format support, just 3.
I noted that in their list they have most formats I use, EXCEPT Windows DOC files....

Quote:
5. The supposedly open ePub isn't really open; it's just another new DRM that won't work with other ePub supporting devices.
I don't like DRM, I don't like it a LOT!

Quote:
6. From the videos the menu system looks pretty basic, and there's no folders support.
Kindle still doesnt allow folders. (not in a USEFUL way anyway)

[quote]7. The LCD screen will no doubt affect battery life greatly.[quote]

So does wifi, 3G etc.

Quote:
8. Users may be locked-in to B&N's store for ebooks (meaning their current software won't import other DRM'ed ebooks; hopefully they'll update).
Not if you can copy things over - PD etc isn't locked out.

Quote:
9. From the videos, book formatting doesn't look promising.
Haven't seen the videos yet

Quote:
10. This is the first generation ereader from a company that has zero experience with ebook readers, and there are likely to be many problems and faults.
I'm sure they have experience with using others' readers... lol
N0NJY is offline   Reply With Quote