View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #42
0x55
userdefined
0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.0x55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo ClaraHD, Kindle Voyage
My use case is similar to davidfor's, I often have two or three "now reading" items. As a Nook refugee, it's sweet how Kobo shows a group of recent reads instead of just one.

So to me, the ideal solution would be TWO screens, both with five chronologically-sized covers. One would be "Currently Reading" and the other would be "What's New."

Doesn't matter which one is "Home," that could be a user preference if it's not too deep of a choice. Ottdmk's point is well taken – having the new stuff always up front may indeed be best for many users.

It would be important to make these two screens visually distinct, not just differentiated by a small label in a whispy font. At a glance, it needs to be very clear whether the user looking at New or Now.

Perhaps "Home" could be a carousel-style layout: the home button gets you to New, then a left/right swipe gets you to Now. Whichever one you're on, the other is just a swipe away. Or the home button could take you to whichever was used last time.

(Likely not feasible to animate this, but just the left/right, A/B context would be enough.)

Displaying five differently-sized book covers is terrific. I'd just like to see it applied to both "new" and "now" scenarios.
0x55 is offline   Reply With Quote