View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Since Ray Bradbury has been mentioned twice, I have to tell about a SF club when I was in college. It was made up about half & half with technical types and liberal arts types. With only one exception in each group, the techies hates Bradbury & the liberals loved him. I leave it to you to determine which type I am. One hint, I was not one of the exceptions.
Bradbury is a wonderful stylist, with images that engrave themselves on your mind. But the "science" in his SF is often laughable. For a lot of SF fans, one of the requirements for good SF is that you get the science right. Get as wild as you please on things that haven't been developed yet, but what we do know should be correct. I like Bradbury, but don't consider him a favorite.

Two Bradbury stories that may amuse you:

Bradbury once credited the late Henry Kuttner with the best piece of advice he got as a writer. Kuttner told him to shut up. Bradbury was a member of the Los Angeles Science Fiction Society, way back when, and used to regale the members with descriptions of stories he was working on. Kuttner told him he was talking out the stories, and never getting them written. He should stop talking about them, and write them instead. Bradbury did, and the rest, as they say, was history.

At a west coast convention some years back, Bradbury held an autograph session. A fan came up with a paperback copy of every book Ray had ever written. Undaunted, Ray took the large stack, carefully arranged them standing up with spines out in a row on the table, and whipped out a magic marker and signed his name in flowing script across the top of the row.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 07-05-2008 at 07:50 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote