View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #180
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@bigbird1227 - dwanthny has it spot on, we need a specific example of what you mean - what your find settings were and the title/author values for which you are not getting a duplicate match that you believe you were previously.

The one comment I will make is that against my initial judgement (which I mentioned a few posts ago on this thread, and JustMike swayed me away from it) I did not make the languages check optional. Now for "most" users, it shouldn't be an issue - either like me you never use the languages field at all, or you do use it and indeed do not want multiple titles with different language entries to match.

However (and this *might* explain your issue) it is possible that someone importing books from various sources is somehow getting the languages field set. I have no idea of the rules around this in terms of whether it can be set from the metadata inside an epub etc, perhaps Kovid may offer some insight.

What this means is that if you have a book set with no language, and another book set with english, this plugin will now always see them as two different books regardless of title. Obviously someone who only stores english books in their library is not going to bother setting the language field for all of them.

I would suggest that if you have two books that you think would have been matched by the last version of this plugin and are no longer, that you check the languages field for both and see if something is present in there on one or both.

It might be possible to do a search for books that have languages set on your library - not at home to verify this but something like languages:false and comparing that with your total library count might work.

If indeed this is happening, then I think the most appropriate solution to all this is to add a preferences option for this plugin as I originally intended, with the default being off. So if your languages field gets filled "supriously" you don't care, and if it gets populated religously you have an option to make use of it. In the meantime you can always use the bulk metadata editor to clear the field.

However that is all speculation - it is the only thing that changed in the plugin and until/unless someone verified the above is happening to them and having languages set on their books unintended then I'm not going to change anything. Personally I *never* turn on import metadata from the book (only filename), and equally I *never* try to download the languages field via metadata download. However perhaps others are getting caught out by this.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote