View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Sounds like a coincidence to me. Netflix does not require or use the flaah apk as far as I can tell. I've upgraded to the most recent version which installs and appears to work, even letting you open a movie and bringing you to the same spot. However, it seems unable to then stream anything.

I'll certainly be looking into a workaround fpr this, as I use Netflix a lot. I might be able to keep 1.5.0 from checking for updates, which has worked in the past with other apps.

Warning: Highly Technical Talk Below

Okay, so I've been able to disassemble the Netflix .dex file (which is the main dalvik executable) and I'm now pretty familiar with the code that checks for updates. However, I can't simply recompile the disassembled code so it's not as easy as just removing that update check code and being done with it. However, I might be able to build a fix that externally prevents the app from checking the server for new versions.

I'll keep you updated but if anyone has any thoughts on recompiling disassembled dalvik, I'd love to talk!

I've also found some settings for the vomp playback engine that the app uses which I can recompile into the apk (because it's outside of the .dex executable). It has a bunch of default settings as well as some settings that are device specific. I'll play around with this and see if perhaps changing some settings might get it working.

Last edited by jefftheworld; 11-11-2011 at 11:01 PM.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote