View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #24
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
[B]Cloud ebook access presumes downloading and caching in the browser to cover
the times when you're not connected. HTML5 apparently has the capability to
do that in such a way that the data is sprinkled all over the browser in
pieces that are very hard to reassemble into a coherent digital file for
passing along. So it works as DRM.

You're quite right that the cloud for ebook wouldn't work if you had to have
persistent connectivity to read a book.
Will I be able to read my ebooks on my Sony, my iTouch, and any other device I buy in future, until the day I die?

Will I be able to load and listen to my music/audiobooks on my Clip+, my iTouch, my car stereo, and any other devices I buy in future, until the day I die?

If the answer is "no" to any of the above, why would I have any interest in "the cloud"?