View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #22
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm OK with such services (that allow offline usage) IF they don't replace purchasing options AND they make it clear that you're just 'renting'.

I subscribe to Rhapsody. I pay $15 per month for unlimited listening from their catalog & offline usage on three portable devices. This makes sense because, especially with my children, musical tastes change. I like a lot of different styles of music and can listen to anything that I want, on a whim, at work, and they can listen to the latest computer aided, marketing driven, talentless pop star of the week, without buying CDs every few weeks! Over the last 7 or so years I've probably spent more on music than I would have otherwise, I feel good that I'm not pirating the music, and everybody wins.

I'd gladly pay $15 per month to Amazon to be allowed unlimited online reading of any books in their kindle store & unlimited reading on 3 ebook readers, knowing full well that I don't own the books and they're gone when I stop paying. My daughter reads a book every day or two... at $10 per I'm usually begging her to instead use the library or trade with friends! Yeah, there are some books that she'd still want to buy (Like the HP series), but we'd buy paper copies of those books. It better reflects the reality of ebooks which aren't physical objects and are often read and forgotten.
THIS!

Hey everyone else is doing it. I understand that most people would rather attack "greedy", "idiot" publishers, beat their chest and threaten that they would jump to the nearest piracy site if the publishers don't do as they say, etc, but the plain fact is that the publishers are businessmen who WILL NOT adopt a model that they think threaten their livilihoods, just because some folks on MR think they should.
I think that the publishers and booksellers will most likely offer a cloud subscription model, alongside the present model and I think it might even become the dominant model. People will continue to "purchase" downloadable copies, of course, but only for special books that they want to reread. These may or may not be DRMED, but they will be a small minority of the ebooks read.
I predict that Google or Amazon will do it first, but Apple might surprise everyone.

Last edited by stonetools; 04-01-2011 at 05:48 PM.