View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 AM   #36
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianReader View Post
As far as filetypes are concerned if they are not proprietary it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.
Of course I'm not saying that the problem doesn't exist but it's easily solvable.

The physical support (if physical supports will still be there in the future) is a way more complex issue.
Indeed.

I've read up a few things about time capsules since the concept interests me a lot. There are a few famous ones around from the 1940s to 1960s. If you read what they put in there, you'll see the problem. The storage devices are so old that today only few people and/or museums still have those. Fortunately they put the reading devices into these time capsules. However, if they break over time...
A similar issue occurs with everything stored electronically. Nothing we use (computers, notebooks, tablets, mp3-players, smartphones) is built to last decades or be compatible to legacy information. They're built to be new and cheap. Every few years, a new technology appears that makes all existing stuff obsolete, creates a clean-slate start so to speak. Voluntarily abandoning the past.
It happened with 16bit-app's, it is currently happening with 32bit-app's...
MOBI? I don't know if an eReader from the year 2020 will still support this format since it's now considered obsolete. Imagine the year 2050 or 2100...I think this is a HUGE issue. The only "solution" is to contineously convert the everything forward to new formats.
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote