View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
My spending habits have changed significantly. In a previous life (i.e., before Sony PRS-505), I only bought hardcover books that I wanted to add to my permanent collection, spending $5,000+ a year on those books (some of the books cost $150+). The books had to be first edition and in fine condition.

Wih my new life (after PRS-505) my habits have changed. I still buy hardcover books that I want to add to my permanent collection, but at a significantly reduced rate -- largely because I already have hundreds more books to read than I will live long enough to read. But books that I am not so sure that I want to add to my permanent library, I buy as ebooks, where I am more price conscious.

If the ebook would cost me the same or very near the price of the pbook, then I simply do not buy the ebook. I either buy the pbook or pass on the book altogether. OTOH, if I buy an ebook and find I really like it and find it valuable (such as is occurring with Taylor Branch's trilogy regarding civil rights in the Martin Luther King years), then I will also buy the hardcover version.

I basically consider my ebooks as throwaway books; that is, unlike with pbooks, I find it hard to think about building a library of ebooks. I don't literally delete the ebooks so that they cannot be reread someday, but I do remove a book from my Reader as soon as I am finished with it and I save the ebook files in a zip file.

In the end, my after PRS-505 spending on books has declined significantly. I've spent a third this year (after) of what I spent last year (before), and I do not see that as changing in the near future.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote