View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
First I really want to thank issybird for this month's selection. It is a book I never would have chosen for myself in a million years but I enjoyed it immensely on many levels. I've only been a member of the literary book club for a few months but already it has greatly expanded my reading horizons.

Comedy, romance, perhaps unintentional recording of the history of the period, tragedy, there is so much going on.

The writing style almost put me off during the first few pages but once I figured out her style I was hooked and it became easy reading. By the end I was reading a bit too quickly as I was anxious to know how the story turned out.

I don't know why but I'm always surprised by frank writing of love triangles and affairs before the sixties' sexual revolution. I know I shouldn't be surprised as human desired did not change in the sixties but I always expected no more than hints of it in literature from this time. Roaring twenties, flappers, again I shouldn't be surprised but found it surprisingly modern in many ways.

The ten word telegram limit reminded me of the modern text message and tweet sizes! Funny thing to think I am sure.

The last page is one of my favorite parts! I won't quote it for fear of ruining the ending but it was so nicely done, just a perfect final page to turn.

I virtually dog eared so many pages of the Kobo ebook, so many funny lines and scenes. It would make for an interesting play or movie. Perhaps I will quote a few passages in another posting.

Last edited by hpulley; 04-10-2012 at 08:26 PM.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote