View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by parias1126 View Post
Do you have the capability to shop other ebook stores?
Yep.

Quote:
Can you view news feeds such as PC World, Mac World, etc. as I can on my Sony with Calibre?
calibre is OS- and reader-agnostic. It doesn't care if you're exporting your feeds to read on a Sony, a Kindle, a Nook, or any of the eleventy-three trillion variants that were announced last CES.

Quote:
Do you use your text-to-speech often?
I've found I've been using it more than I expected to with the cold weather - I turn on TTS and listen to my book while I walk to the tram stop on my way in to work. Once I'm on the tram I may leave TTS on or switch back to reading - depends on how crowded it is.

Quote:
What other feature do you like on the Kindle ?
The Web access (Wikipedia in particular) has turned out to be unexpectedly handy - I kept using it while reading Stieg Larsson's Millenium trilogy, found it useful to fill in bits of late 20th Century Swedish politics I wasn't up on.

Quote:
Why did you go with Kindle and not another device despite the DRM issues ?
DRM issues? What's DRM? Oh, you mean the stuff that makes some books take 5 seconds longer to add to calibre, which I have set up with a plugin to strip Mobi DRM automagically?

You're going to have to deal with DRM issues regardless, at least if you want to shop at any of the big stores, and if they all institute new, uncrackable DRM tomorrow Amazon will likely continue to have a bigger selection than the Adobe stores or the upcoming Apple store. In the meantime, for the odd book I can't find at Amazon (or that I find elsewhere cheaper - if you're price-conscious, check out Inkmesh and Add-All) it's easy enough to disinfect, load into calibre, and convert.

Ultimately my decision to buy a Kindle was driven by the feel of the device itself in my hands, honestly. I hate touch-screens, and I really like the big, conveniently-placed, previous/next page buttons on the Kindle, which are the "interface" I deal with 95% of the time, after all. The keyboard is nice when doing searches in the text or on the Web, and for doing annotations and making notes.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote