View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #107
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't want to get into a "my app is better than your app" kind of of thing. That's not my intent. I use Mantano Premium because of all the apps I've tested, it seemed to do the best job of rendering the epub (a well-formed, validated epub with epub2-compliant css) as it was created to be displayed. It's not perfect, there are quirks, but it's in the ballpark. I'm not looking for a totally homogenized reading experience across all books anyway. There are few things I like to be consistent, yes, but other than that. I'm perfectly OK with subtle, stylistic, typographic differences. In fact I encourage it.

I'm all for having the ability to override just about everything and everything a user might conceivably want to customize. I just don't believe all of that extra flexibility should (or needs to) come at the expense of NOT being able to display the epub as its creator intended (should a user desire to do so). That's what I'm up against with Moon+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson
Really?! My experience is that most e-books, including those sold commercially, are atrociously formatted. Seeing them as set up by their publishers, would likely give me massive headaches
That's not been my experience. Most of the stuff I buy is relatively close to what I want (no extra paragraph spacing, first-line indent on paragraphs). The only things I typically might want to override are top & bottom page margins, left-right page margins, and the basic font. If it's anything more atrocious than that, I'm going to edit the ePub in question and "fix" the atrocities anyway. The problem I have, is that after I go to the trouble of fixing an ePub and editing it to be the exact way I want it (a validated, compliant, nothing fancy, cleanly formatted epub mind you), Moon+ seems incapable of displaying it the way I intend the ePub to render. Many other epub reading apps (including ADE or most other RMSDK-based apps/devices) are able to do a decent job of rendering it as it was intended.

I don't care if people want to override anything and everything they want in an epub to customize their experience--that's great. But it just doesn't make sense to me that an epub reading app would be incapable of displaying a properly formatted epub at least close to the way it's creator intended. Especially when all of the CSS overrides have supposedly been turned off. *shrugs*

So .... Moon+ is clearly not for me. Lesson learned. I suggest we all get back to reading in whatever way makes us most happy. Deal?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-17-2013 at 03:01 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote