View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 03:23 AM   #73
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I'm curious, are you a Microsoft employee? You live in Redmond, have WLS in your sig, and you're defending windows... Seems to be a bit more than a coincidence.

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked at your profile. What do you work on, if you don't me asking?
It's no secret I work at Microsoft (I'm one of two developers responsible for the Live Search for Mobile client, as you might be able to guess from my .sig). I've spent many years in the FreeBSD world (I was architect on an FreeBSD enterprise firewall product before Microsoft); I have lots of Linux experience (Debian, Gentoo) and I own a Mac. I dislike zealotry on any side of the fence; all systems have their respective pros and cons, and nothing is perfect (if it was I wouldn't have a heterogeneous home setup). A Windows CE based reader is not in principle any better or worse than any other; it all depends on the application and driver software that gets added to make the final product. Most "Windows bugs" are bugs in 3rd party device drivers or applications, and the same is true of other OSes too - modern day kernels are all very stable.

The only blue screens I've ever seen in WinXP or Vista were from either bad RAM or bad drivers. I've had Linux crashes I couldn't explain but would expect were similar issues. I can't use X on my FreeBSD server at home for more than about an hour without it freezing up due to NVidia drivers (NVidia drivers were also the cause of the blue screens I've seen on Vista).

Disclaimer: of course I speak for myself in all of this, and not for Microsoft.

Last edited by geekraver; 09-28-2007 at 03:34 AM.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote