View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrock View Post
Before I got my Sony Reader (not a Christmas present btw ) I'd read a number of novels on my HTC desire (3.7" screen). As a web developer spending lots of time on code, I tended to read off-white text on a black background. Worked for me. I read about 10-20 books that way before deciding on a proper ereader.

Only thing I would say is, regardless of screen size on a smartphone, don't bother unless you like scrolling a lot, or are comfortable with tiny text sizes.
White-on-black or "night mode" is the only way to read on an LCD, IMHO, even during the day. Also, a good reader app with adjustable margins, line-spacing, hyphenation, etc makes things much better on a smaller screen. Stanza, Aldiko, Freda are good. iBooks (has hyphenation but also ridiculous and non-adjustable margins), Kindle (no hyphenation or margin control, grey-on-black night mode doesn't have enough contrast for me), etc are not.

Also, higher resolution screens work better with smaller fonts, as the extra pixels make them more readable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What 'new 7" size'? What eBook reader has a 7" screen? The only one I'm aware of is the now-discontinued Sony PRS-950.

There are certainly many tablets with 7" screens, but I don't know of any device that's sold primarily as a reader that has a 7" screen. Do you?
The Nook Color was/is sold primarily as a reader, though it obviously had tablet aspirations (proven by its successor, the Nook Tablet). And Amazon's selling the Fire under the Kindle name, implying it's primarily a reader. The Kobo Vox is also sold primarily as a reader.

Ereader != eink.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote