View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafrizz View Post
Thanks for those tips guys. I managed to get rid of the DRM and transfer the book using calibre.

Would be great to know how this can be achieved under wine. I would prefer it if I don't have to boot into windows when I want to remove DRM from purchased books.
I run Adobe Digital Editions on my Ubuntu install (though I run it through Crossover Office, not Wine, but the procedure should be the same).

I found that if I loaded Adobe then plugged in my reader it would not be found, however if I plugged in my reader (and had it mount) then ran ADE it was picked up and I could authorise it and copy books etc. The trick is, plug in the reader first!! So that might fix your issue with the reader not being found.

Your second problem I have successfully (once again through Crossover Office but the same procedure should work with Wine).

- Install Python using wine (it should by default use the same c_drive as Adobe Digital Editions).
- Install PyCrypto using wine (I think that is the name of the second package the python scripts you are using requires).
- Run the Python IDLE then go File -> Open and select the first python script and run it.
- Save the extracted key somewhere in your file system.

Now when you download books into ADE you can (provided you have installed PyCrypto on your Ubuntu install natively (not wine), you can run python ineXXXXXX.pyw script, select the extracted key, then navigate to where ADE saves your downloaded book (mine is ~/Documents/My Digital Editions by default), enter an output dir/file and you are away. Alternatively you could run the Python IDLE through wine again and perform the stripping that way.

Sorry if I am not being precise in my methods, but I believe we are not allowed to provide assistance on stripping DRM on this forum, so I am limited in only being able to tell you how to install Python and PyCrypto under Wine and how to run python scripts through it.

Last edited by Solicitous; 06-19-2010 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Change PyQT to PyCrypto
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote