View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #4
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
i was initially very enthusiastic. i'm also happy with the interaction from kobo support, especially in this forum. they're outstanding, and i forgive much for that (such as the late firmware upgrade; promised originally for end of may).

but i am much less enthusiastic about the kobo reader now. and no, it's not buyer's remorse (i don't buy impulsively). the reader had some serious problems to start with (battery, font scaling, pdf flow), and while the firmware upgrade has handled some of them, it has not solved my battery issues, and the forced shutdown has made using it much more cumbersome for me (similar to the original poster). i'm starting to feel like i was sold a lemon, and kobo is now slapping on some polish -- the battery issues seem incredibly widespread, and so we get a forced shutdown to conserve battery power because the unit might not last long otherwise. makes me wonder when it's gonna conk for good; this has clearly not been expected, and there will be no true remedy since the battery is (stupidly) sealed.

as to returning it, i am about to go to my local chapters tomorrow and ask about it -- i bought mine 45 days ago, and i doubt they'll replace it for me, but it can't hurt to try. otherwise i will exchange mine via kobo itself and see whether the new unit gets better battery performance, but if that doesn't happen, i too will return it and give up on kobo for now. why in the world should anyone stick with a product that does not work as advertised? the "8000 page turns" (or rather some reality-based facsimile thereof, like, oh, half, because i'm nice like that) were instrumental in me deciding for the kobo. i'm getting about 1200. and now i have to reboot the damn thing every time i want to pick up my read. this is most decidedly not what i thought i was buying.

get out of our face if the same issues don't bother you; you are not us. one of the most stupid things i see here is person B saying "that doesn't bother me at all" after person A complains about something that matters to them. so i don't care about cover art, why should i argue with a person who does? we are not clones of each other, we don't use our tools the same way, we don't enjoy the same entertainment.

the original poster said nothing that called for you belittling him.

Last edited by pleochroic; 07-09-2010 at 02:52 AM.
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote