View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #111
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
I saw one comment saying that the lack of an SD card slot is so 2009. Actually, it's not. In many ways, streaming has already begun to supersede local storage. A few years ago, my nephews and nieces used to carry around hundreds of gigabytes-worth of music files with them. These days, not so much. Most of them are quite content to use streaming services along with cloud storage storing the few tracks they end up buying.
I have three frivolous and largely uninformed opinions about why Google (Apple and Amazon) dropped the micro SD slot...

1) The lack of storage pushes users into the company's cloud infrastructure. It encourages folks to obtain their music, movies, and etc. from Google. It may also encourage folks to buy cloud storage from Google for non-Google stuff.

2) It makes it less likely that people will root the device. Many people who root the Nook tablet use a micro SD slot. Pull out the card and the device boots to its stock OS.

3) If you find out that your whiz-bang 8gb tablet doesn't cut it, you can't simply go out and buy a 16gb micro SD card for $8.00 (current price on Amazon). You should have spent $50 more and gotten an extra 8gb from us. If 16gb isn't enough, maybe we'll let you buy a $400 32gb tablet from us later on.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote