View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There was one other bit of information in the original post: "bricked for years".

The type of battery in the Kindle does not last forever in the fully (or nearly fully) discharged state.

I would not be surprised if the O.P. needed a new battery by now.
The ideal storage condition for lithium ion batteries is at 40% charge, but no more than 70% charge (60% recommended maximum, for a margin of safety).

Putting a kindle in storage with a full battery charge will also shorten its lifespan. The kindles contain a "shipping" script (also available in diags on some models) that partially discharges the battery to prepare it for shipping or storage.

There is a very interesting easy to understand document on lithium batteries that I read years ago, and I am glad to see that it still exists. I recommend reading this:

And now I see that it has an updated version available as well:One interesting thing is that lithium ion batteries like those used in a kindle start aging immediately after manufacture, and will die of old-age even unused in original packaging, so it does not help to buy a spare battery "for later". It is best to use a freshly manufactured replacement battery.

Most rechargeable lithium ion batteries are only good for about 5 years past manufacture, but newer ones may last up to 10 years before needing replacement (if stored partially charged). But if stored undercharged or overcharged, they can have a much shorter lifespan.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-08-2012 at 04:30 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote