View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. The sender would be breaking US copyright law by sending it. PG wouldn't be breaking any law by receiving it, though, assuming it was out of copyright in Australia.

No. It would be a copyright violation to download such a book in the US, or have it sent to you.
I had actually thought of PG Australia as suggested, as one of the authors I'm doing books by did die before 1954. Most of the others, not. And then, in the case of some books that are illustrated, the illustrations might not be PD in Australia even if the texts would be.

But I have suspected all along that me, being in the U.S.A., cannot legally pass the books over to Australia. Thanks for confirming that. I'll definitely have to think on that one.

I'm also not sure if they'd like my kind of ebook anyway. While I keep text as close as possible to the original, including archaic spellings, I do correct paper goofs when I find them. I also add in bibliographies that weren't present in the original, about the author pages, and sometimes even about the illustrator pages. I am not adverse to scanning dust jacket photos and including such either.

I make the kind of books *I* like, because I want to remember these authors and illustrators from my childhood.

I guess the best way might be to leave the ebooks with family and hope that someone in the future will release them at the proper time when I am gone. Hopefully I've got a couple decades in me yet. Knock on wood.

In a couple cases, I might be able to get in touch with family members of the deceased authors, turn the files over that way. No guarantee they will do anything with it though.

It's a hard thing. Several of the texts I'm doing are really hard to find.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote