View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 04:16 AM   #67
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Request reality check and feedback before I continue revising KISS versions. I decided I'm not comfortable giving anyone any advice, because heck, who am I to give advice in this crowd. So I plan to recast this whole KISS thing into one new user (me) documenting his efforts to apply KISS (in the sense of an engineering project) to building his library, with iterative improvements in methods and (hopefully) results. If others on MR think they might extract any use from that, I'll continue to post documentation about it here. If not, I'm continuing the project anyway but just won't post about it.

So, do you think it would it be useful or not?
I think your approach has a lot of merit. By casting your experience as advice, you run into the not-the-one-true-way problem. By describing what you did and learned, people who think like you do (and I think that would be a large number) can use your experience in whatever way they like. So continue to post!

One piece of unasked-for advice. People don't seem to want to read documents that discuss first principles -- the fundamentals of how something works. Instead they want to know what button to push and what text to type to solve their problem-of-the-moment. Where it makes sense, you might want to provide specific solutions to problems you remember having. I do recognize the difficulties: remembering what your problems were and tracking calibre's changing landscape.