View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yep, Kindle as client. And you are right, most probably, the ppp0 interface setup must be overridden. The problem lies within Amazon's (Java) software stack. It doesn't check whether there is an actual internet connection (i.e. checking route/ip setup), but rather checks whether the 3G interface is set up and running (there's some Amazon daemon caring for that, I think it was "wand" or something like that, the Java software would connect to it using their LIPC inter process communication). They check the state of this for going into "connected" mode - and that again is the condition checked for the online features (like browser, social sharing etc).

In the first place, I'd be interested in what problem the OP tries to solve. "Access to website" indicates it's about using the Browser - however, I would suggest it's too much a hassle to make that running. The browser is actually not that good - I guess vncviewer on the Kindle is much more fun here (and doesn't need a route to the internet).

Not mentioned as of now are the Amazon proxy servers. I think I remember that these are used by default by the browser and that was pretty much hardcoded (IIRC, you could change the proxy addresses, though, they were in a dedicated config file).
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote