View Single Post
Old 12-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Scanning Tips For Thin Paper

I'm trying to scan a book I own. I have a sheetfed document scanner at work that can scan to many different formats and perform OCR on it.

I've scanned it as a black and white document at 300dpi. I'm not very impressed with the quality (see screenshot). The illustrations don't look very good, and there are random black dots around the page. In addition, the text doesn't look very clean.

There are quite a few illustrations and footnotes, so converting it to a text document will loose a lot of the "magic" of the book.

I have a plethora of options and formats I can save it into directly from the scanner (PDF, TIFF, etc). The pages are also very thin, so if I scan it as a color document (and greyscale, probably), the back side will bleed through.

Has anyone else scanned a book like this with good results? What settings/format did you use?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fsmpage.png
Views:	446
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	19428  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote