View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 AM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I tend to email authors instead...I almost always get a response either explaining why a given issue exists or with contact info of exactly who to email rather than a email to some bulk contact center where pretty much all emails will get sent into the bit-bucket.

A few years back I was looking for audiobook/Audible versions of Jerry Pournelle's books, so I emailed him via his Chaos Manor site. He was very nice in his response that, at the time, he wasn't planning any of my preferred Audible format books but he asked me if ebooks would be helpful instead. I emailed back an enthusiastic YES. Not long after that conversation, maybe a year later, I began seeing his books on Baen and now a good portion of them are there.

As Pournelle has done a significant portion of his writing on a computer of some sort, I lived for his monthly Chaos Manor column in Byte Magazine so most who read it kinda felt we knew him a bit...so he had a ton of books, in final form I think, ready to go as he had also been pretty vigilant in moving his back-ups to newer media so one did not need to find a computer to read a 9" floppy disk a couple-three decades later.

I was hunting some works buy George Alec Effinger as well as Edward Abby. Tracking down publishers was pointless so I also contacted then via sites dedicated to the authors (sadly both are long ago dead). In both cases I did get emails back with an explanation that the estates still were a mess in terms of rights and such so it could well be a loooong time before the mess was straightened out. A true shame as we are worse off for the lack of access to Abby's humorous and seditious fiction but also his wonderful non-fiction writing about the beauty of his beloved deserts. And Effinger is just a FUN and under appreciated author.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote