View Single Post
Old 06-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #12
LauretteBradley
Enthusiast
LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle reader on iPad and iPhone
I have purchased a lot of DRM'd content over the years, and the majority of it is not available to me right now, forget about in the future.

Take, for example, Mobipocket. I have a large Mobipocket library. I don't particularly care for the reader itself -- it has WIERD pagination problems, so that you can never get back to a page by going to its number -- but they were early publishers of the Oxford dictionary series, and I like those. I am also a major gadget freak. I buy upwards of 4 new gadgets a year, and a new pc every year. Mobipocket's DRM has never been tolerant of this. It allows you to use your content on just a few devices, and after that it assumes you are stealing it, and that's all there is to that. I have dropped PIDs, added PIDs, sent emails, etc, etc, but the sum of it all is that right now I have no access to a bunch of content from Mobipocket on the devices I am currently using.

I have also purchased DRM'd content for Microsoft reader. I have a similar problem with that, since they too refuse to activate the reader after you reach a device limit. You can send them requests for more devices, but this being Microsoft, good luck on that. Also, some of my DRM'd content for Microsoft reader simply doesn't work. Bad DRM, I suppose, but it seems to have authenticated for a particular device and I can't read it any any other device, even if activated.

I do have some non-DRM'd content, but as an earlier commenter noted, it tends to be poorly formatted. My bottom line is that I love reading books on mobile devices and I am Mad As Hell at the mess that publishers have made of it.
LauretteBradley is offline   Reply With Quote