View Single Post
Old 05-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #141
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you name one? All the readers I'm familiar with have an outer plastic screen over the glass substrate of the eInk display; the glass substrate is much too fragile to be exposed.
It's something I learned here on this forum. I can't put my fingers on a post now, but during discussions of touch technologies, it was mentioned more than once that on the Kindle and Nook and others, you are actually touching the eink module and not some early-Sony-Like cover that would degrade appearance.

Here's a take down video showing disassembly of a K3:
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/manual.php?id=116

There is clearly nothing between the eink module and the front cover opening.
(and we'll just ignore that he calls it an "LCD").

But if you mean that the front of the of the module is made of plastic and not glass, I'll take your word for it. I was referring to the fact of it being a single exposed, expensive component. I'm not sure why I said "glass surface" and not just "surface." I had no idea what the material is. Perhaps seen I've seen so many cracked, I assumed the surface was was glass.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote