View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #36
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I too love Kobo; not just my Kobo reader. I have been and sometimes still am critical of both the Kobo readers and the company but it is usually due to specific reasons rather than a general dislike. My love of the company started a long time ago. My venture into reading ebooks was when I used to use various versions of Palm handhelds and eventually my Palm Treo to read ebook. I never really got into reading on my computer screen but started to a couple of years ago when my beloved Treo finally died. At the time, I was posted to Malaysia for work and most ebook retailers had a odd relationship with Malaysia. Amazon was always on-again-off-again. You could order deadtree books and then you couldn't and finally, you could order (and pay for them) but they wouldn't send them to you (and that is another long story). So, it probably isn't a surprise that Amazon wouldn't sell either the Kindle or ebooks to people in Malaysia. In fact, they still wont. At the time, Kobo were proudly stating that they sold ebooks in 150 countries and I found that Malaysia was one of them. One of the reason I like the company. So, I started using Kobo. Once they launched the Touch, I was sold. I contacted a friend in Toronto (I'm from Toronto, hence using a friend in Toronto to help) and they bought the Touch for me and posted it out (in the middle of yet another Canada Post strike). The postage cost a fortune but I was really please to have my Touch. Since getting it, I have moved on to Australia where I can get both the Kobo ereaders and the Kindle online or in store. Have been tempted with the Kindle a few times but there has never been enough of a reason to get one besides, the lock-in restriction in Amazon's Kindle ecosystem rubs me the wrong way and that has always been the thing that stops me from adding a Kindle to my library. The Aura is very tempting but at $220 and the fact that it isn't going to be available until sometime in or after June, I might go Glo instead. So for me, Kobo Rocks (they have issues but they Rock )
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote