View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnab69 View Post
I'm surprised calibre doesn't come with a standard tag for genre.
Check out some of the threads about genres-there's nothing like a standard set of genres so I understand why Calibre doesn't come with one. Or did you mean a pre-defined column for genre? I suspect the Tag field started off that way but then got generalized.
The tag field by default is where all of the genre tags you download are placed.

The tag field is only as generalized as you allow it to be. I have 10,000 books and only 240 tags. Before I download tags for new books I remove the tags from the books then I download all of my tags via the GoodReads Metadata download plugin. This plugin allows you to map the GoodReads genres to whichever tags you wish. The plugin comes with around 60 genres mapped. I shared my current mapping (around 225 genres and sub genres mapped) with folks in this post. You can modify the tag mapping as you see fit via the configuration of the plugin.

I use the following Metadata Source Plugins to download metadata and covers.

Goodreads
Barnes & Noble
Fantasic Fiction
Amazon

I only have the Goodreads plugin set to download Tags. Limiting the auto download of tags to this one plugin keeps my Tag column consistent and concise.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-26-2013 at 10:22 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote