View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Well I am by no means an expert at any of this. I will just relate what I know. The root package I got came with ADW launcher, FBreader...can't recall what else (it's in the wiki). I added Tune-in-radio in case I want to listen via the headphones. I had Pandora on too. But I think I took it off. I also removed FBreader (oops...no idea how to put it back on). Oh it came with dropbox installed too. So anytime I want to add a book without hooking it up via USB, I can add it via drop box.

There are ways of exploring files, but the one I like and use is Coolreader. Yes you can do hierarchical collections, at least I do, however, I use Calibre and my computer file manager to create and set them up the way I want them. I don't know how to do it on the device.

Now that I have it it set up this way, with morkl's home screen, I have a 3 page home screen that looks very similar to the original Sony home screen. On the first page, I have a picture of the last book I opened. Under that, a row of the 3 books I opened before that. Below that on the left is a Books square. If I click on that, I go to a list which I have set to show in most recent order. Below the books is a box that shows my collections. Either of those features can be used to browse through my books, and to access the search function.

Almost every book I tap, will automatically open with Coolreader. From there I can tap menu, open file, and then browse my file system. Coolreader has a "recently read" file, which I love. Below that, I can go to my SD card, where I have 26 files A-Z with all my files by author sorted, and in some of the author files, I have series sub folders.

I haven't had any problems with the Sony, although today I did. For some reason it froze up. I restarted it via menu command. Then when I should have set it down to refresh, I didn't. (I was out of the house). When I got home I had to use the reset button! So glad it has one! IT is refreshing now, I am not going to touch it til it's done, this time! (Takes a long time b/c I have over 5000 books on the SD card)

And one more plus--you can tap to turn pages. I don't think you can do that on an un-rooted device.

One more thing, and I don't know if this is specific to Coolreader or not. But when I am browsing through my Coolreader files, the books that I have added via Calibre show their series name and series number under each title. That is invaluable!!!

Last edited by booklover6; 06-25-2012 at 12:13 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote