Thread: Touch Excessive Battery Use?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Well, first post on the forum, but I have to chime in with my bum battery Nook touch as well. I just got it as a present for Christmas (actually Christmas eve). On the first full charge it lasted about a week, wierdly.

It wasn't noticably discharging in sleep mode, at least if it was, only a little. I had it down around 78% reading probably 2-3hrs a day and lots of tinkering (creating shelves, playing around in settings, shooting through page turns, doing dictionary lookups), probably hammering a lot more than normal. Then Friday night I plugged it in to my computer to load up a few more books (I had it plugged in maybe 15-20 minutes initially after the first full charge to side load some content on to the SD card).

Well, it gave me a 0% battery warning. I don't know what the charge level was earlier in the day, but the night before I was down around 78% before going to bed after 6 days of moderate reading and lots of playing around. It refused to power on until I charged it, but it charged to 100% in about an hour total from the charger...which seemed way too short for a full charge with BN saying 3-3 1/2hrs for a full charge.

Over the long weekend I used it heavily, mostly reading, and it burnt through a claimed 100% charge in 3 days (dead, or effectively so last night). With that 100% charge Friday night, it was also around 88% Saturday morning, around 68% Saturday night, 54% Sunday morning, 38% Sunday night, 26% Monday morning and 8% when I plugged it in to my computer last night to rearrange my ebook collection. As soon as I plugged it in, the screen flashed 0% charge again. This time around though it took about 2 full hours to reach max charge, though it remained plugged in most of the night to the charger as it was at 91% when I checked after 2hrs and went to sleep at that point (I figure it sipped about 6-8 minutes of charge plugged in to my computer on top of the 2hrs of charging and if it was really at 8% rather than 0%, that is a lot closer to 3hrs of charging than the 1hr previously). It was on a timer for the charger, so it really powered "off" the charging at around 3-4am and around 5:15am it was at 99% when I powered it off per the BN forums suggestion in the battery issues thread.

After just checking (as I write this) it is at 96% charge. I spent about 15 minutes on my lunch hour re-doing all of my shelves (11 of them and about 150 books on the various shelves, so lots and lots of screen changes/refreshes). It has only been on/sleeping since around 11am, so about 5 1/2hrs now. It was at 96% IIRC when I put it to sleep after setting up all of the shelves (it claimed 98% when it booted up) and it was deffinitely at 96% when I checked around 2:30. I don't feel like it is enough time to really get a feel for if the battery life issue is continuing; however, the performance over the weekend saw something like a 2% per hour battery discharge when not in use (about 3-4% per hour when in use reading). So far at most I've seen 2% battery discharge in 15 minutes of intensive use and 5 1/4hrs of standby if we go with the 98% baseline.

Fingers crossed that the worst I have to do is reboot it after charging fully to give me acceptable battery life. I don't need the claimed, all I need is basically 2 weeks of reading 1hr a day as a minimum. What would make me happy would be those 2 weeks at 2hrs a day.

A question, those with the battery life issues, are you using a micro SD card, either in the nook and/or with content stored on it? I do have one (and have since about 5 minutes after unboxing), but I am curious as to whether there is some issue with the micro SD card causing bad battery life.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote