View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
momtodogs
Lovin' the e-life!!!
momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momtodogs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini
Question Questions from a possible Sony to Kindle convert

Actually 'convert' isn't quite accurate. 'Supplement' might be better, unless I'm blown away by the Kindle. I have a Sony PRS-505, and LOVE it. I considered the Kindle then (2009), but liked the Sony because I could use SD cards (I like separate cards for favorite authors/genre/collections.)

BUT, I am excited about the affordability about the newer Kindles, and have often lamented that the huge selection of reasonably priced books, on Amazon, are unusable on my Sony. I have purchased a few of old favorites, but can only read them on my PC.

OK, I actually DO have a point to this thread, and here it is.... which Kindle should I get????
  1. Keyboard or Touch? Either must be QWERTY. My Sony does not use a keyboard, but has lots of navigational buttons on the side and bottom. Very (this) user-friendly. I have an iPod Touch, and have frequent problems with touch accuracy (mine, not the device), if I get in a hurry. I'm much more accurate with a stylus than fingers. I tried out the Sony Touch PRS-600, and hated it instantly because of the screen resolution (cloudy), and was worried that fingerprints might make this worse. I'm not grubby, but I don't want to be constantly cleaning the screen. Do I have to 'swipe' the screen to turn a page?
  2. How important would wi-fi, or 3G, be to me? Weaning myself off of dead-tree books was easy. But, I do find myself in the paperback section of stores, looking at the new releases and taking hard-copy notes of author/titles so I can look for them online when I get home. I have a smart phone, but never subscribed to a data plan, so haven't gotten a newer model now that the data plan is mandatory. I just wanted a phone that would sync with Outlook, so I could check/update my calendar (had a Palm, which became a paperweight when it wouldn't work with my new 64-bit PC.) Don't want to check my email while out of the house (a necessary evil at home.) I have a Nintendo DS Lite, though rarely use it (in favor of reading.)
  3. Consolidation potential? Carrying around all of my devices, in case I might need one, makes my purse seem more like a carry-on for a long flight. Should I hold out for the Kindle Fire, and the possibility of eliminating all but my phone from my arsenal. Will any of the Kindles have an app that will sync with Microsoft Outlook? I'm not too worried about the availability of games. I doubt I can eliminate my iPod, since I have over 15GB of music on it.
I am sorry for my cumbersome post , but never having experienced even a trial of a Kindle, I don't know what to expect, and thought if you knew my level of non-expertise, it might make it easier to advise me. I love my Sony eReader and wish it had been available to me before I retired in 2005, when I spent hours on a bus commuting, daily, to Seattle.

momtodogs is offline   Reply With Quote