View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #250
deekbee
deekbee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
It's not running online, where the reader is priced at £10 off - £139. You also can't select a blue PRS-350 online.

Surely Sony readers must be somewhat popular in the UK - with just about every Waterstone's with a display stand? I'll admit that my nearest one didn't bother to charge the units on display - so I had to ask them to get one from the storeroom for me to play with.

I also noticed that Tesco have prominent Kindle displays in their larger stores, though, and I suppose that Tescos have a much higher footfall than any high-street book retailer.

I do hope Sony can stay in the market. I love my Pocket - the size makes a huge difference. I also like not being tied into one store.
When I was originally looking at the readers, and chose the Sony, I didn't find anywhere in the UK that had the blue. At least our local Waterstones had them all on display - and all working.

I also noticed the display at Tesco a few weeks back, well stocked. Last night it was empty.

Also agree on the size - the PRS-350 is totally pocketable, and is perfect for reading "normal" paperbacks, a much more pleasant device to hold (and use) than the kindle.

But its a mindshare thing - everyone just seems to automatically equate e-reader=kindle. Similarly with the tablet PCs. I've got an Advent Vega (which is truly excellent), and while my youngest was doing some jigsaws on it, another parent in the house commented "he likes playing on your iPad". Which was pretty damn sad ....
deekbee is offline   Reply With Quote