View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Is it just me or is there a serious question about why would anyone buy a device which entails agreeing to allow the seller to do this?
If that is your concern, you might want to move to a shack in Montana and go off the grid. Or at least buy your paper books with cash and get rid of your cell phone.

Online retailers can track your every last move on their sites -- purchase history, what books you browsed on their site, if you came from a specific link. It's not like buying from Sony, B&N or Fictionwise really gives you that much more privacy protection.

For example, let's say I get accused of terrorism. The Feds will pore over every possession I own, paper and digital. If I'm taking notes in the margins of a paper book or in an ebook, they're going to get it. Or if I have a paper copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook that I picked up as a lark when I was in college, it will undoubtedly be introduced in court -- no matter how much dust it has gathered.

I don't see a problem with inquiring about it, but I really don't see anything useful Amazon can do with data that gets synced via Whispernet than via purchase history, or how it's really much worse than what any other ebook vendor can access or generate. Ergo, I don't see much reason for concern, especially in the era of voluntary surrendering of tons of data on Facebook and Foursquare....