View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
hakan42
Zealot
hakan42 is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Classic rooted; Galaxy S IV with Aldiko, other older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Since UUIDs should be globally unique, why would you need to prefix them?
Yes, they should be globally unique. But then again, calibre itself used book id's as urn, until you fixed that a short while ago.

Webscription (baen ebooks) uses some kind internal id. The book 1632 uses the ID <id>urn:webscription:0671578499</id> (seems to be based on their SKU).
Beam ebooks uses <id>urn:beam-ebooks:titelnr:999936881</id> for the book Ein gerissener Kerl

Therefore, to avoid possible collosions, I wanted to use the part after urn: as the uuid, I would store "webscription:0671578499" as the uuid of the first book and "beam-ebooks:titelnr:999936881" as the uuid of the second one.

This would have the advantage that stanza clients would recognize the books as identical, whether they come from the "original" shop or from my local library.

Maybe I am abusing the uuid field and should rather be adding a "remote-id" field to the books table but I would rather avoid changing the schema if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Are you planning to implement a browser for the remote collections, or just a client to download newly purchased books?
For starters, just a client to download the new books.

I am not yet sure how I would avoid downloading all of the available books from a store without implementing a browser, but as a first step, I'd like to automatize my weekly download task

Regards,
Hakan
hakan42 is offline   Reply With Quote