View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
500 Upgrade Failure

I sent my PRS 500 reader on vacation to get its firmware upgraded. I've been expecting that box back for the past few days, but today I got a very different surprise.

A Sony technician called to inform me that "The firmware upgrade has failed on my reader." I asked if he knew why, and he replied "I have tried the process several times, and the firmware will not load." I asked if he was going to have to send my reader back, and he explained "It won't boot up any more, so I could send it back but you couldn't use it." My reader was bricked, and even Sony couldn't fix it. Yikes!

I've wondered why this firmware upgrade wasn't a download and run this utility sort of thing like we seen in the past. Apparently it can go wrong, and leave the patient dead on the table.

All is not lost, the technician explained that Sony was willing to send me a certificate to buy a new reader or a replacement unit. The replacement would not be a 500, apparently it seems they are actually just recycling them if you send one in for a certificate. I was offered a silver 505 as a replacement, and I accepted it.

I'm not over-joyed, I have a nice leather case that uses the reliable 500 connector rather than the easy-to-break 505 solution. However, I do appreciate the way Sony has stood by me as a user. I have an early 500, perhaps part of the problem, and I've had it for a number of years. The firmware upgrade to keep our devices up was an unexpected blessing. A new reader is an even more generous concession.

Has anybody else heard of such a failure? I asked the technician and he said "I haven't done all the upgrades, but I've never seen this happen."

Anybody have a solution for attaching a 500 cover to a 505, or even a good 505 cover??
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote