View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #259
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Nice explanation. You wouldn't know what would make one display more susceptible to lighting condition then the other would you? My K4 is very susceptible to lighting conditions and my K3 isn't.

I've done comparisons just like you suggested to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I've compare my two units every which way till I was like what's the point. My K3 now sits on it's shelf lonely and I use my K4 for reading. I forgot how good my K3 screens Looks till I was using it the other day. So if it bothers you, only use one and you'll forget how the other one looks eventually.
Each kindle screen has custom tuning parameters stored in a ROM chip on the flex cable attached to the screen. It is possible that a screen may have been miscalibrated, or was not at the "standard" 25C temperature when it was originally calibrated, or perhaps the viscosity of the oil changed over time.

I noticed with my kindles that they improve with "exercise". There is less contrast and more ghosting for awhile when they have been unused for some time. Forcing the white zinc oxide particles to move through the oil warms it from friction. Cycling the pixels like this may also help separate white particles that may be stuck to the beads or stuck to each other.

I have 7 kindles (for software testing), and some of them get neglected for awhile. Also when they are cold (below body temperature), it makes a HUGE difference. When cold they can do different shades of "medium gray".

Store your "not so good" kindle in a warm place for a bit to "soften" the oil in the display, then test it again.

To some people the K4 and Touch may APPEAR to be lower contrast than the K3 and DXG, because of reflected light off the silver bezel affecting visual perception. Putting a "graphite" skin on the K4NT and Touch may make them appear to be higher contrast.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-16-2012 at 11:28 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote