View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Amazon and Harper Collins had one contract. Harper Collins and Kobo another. Amazon and HC negotiated prior to the mandatory date--which is why only HC has changed pricing on Amazon, and the other two publishers are still under the Agency model.

Kobo cannot lower the prices unilaterally while they are still covered by the old contract. My guess is that with Kobo having a relatively small part of the US market, they are not high on the HC list for negotiations. When a new contract is created that complies with the DOJ order (and I don't expect it will happen before the mandated date), Harper Collins will STILL set the base price of each and every book sold--however Kobo should then be able to discount--just as Amazon can do today.

Even then, it would be US purchases only, unless the publisher decides to change the Canadian contract without being forced to do so.

I'd love to know why your first response was to rag on Kobo, John.
The thing is, it's not longer not allowed to discount HC eBooks sold for the US eBook market. Amazon is doing it. BooksOnBoard is doing it. Kobo should be allowing discounts on HC eBooks. But they aren't. If it is a contract issue, then Kobo should be on HC trying to get a new contract to allow discounts.

I would have expected (by now) Kobo to release a statement as to what is going on with HC and why we still cannot use discount codes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote