View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
My Nexus 16GB 7 screen just cracked. The LCD still works, but the touchscreen does not work. It is less than 7 months old and still under the 12 month limited warranty from the Google Play store, but they refer you to Asus for all warranty issues. Asus considers a cracked screen as CID (Customer Induced Damage) and they charge the customer for repair.

A Nexus 7 with a cracked screen typically sells for $75 or more on ebay, or $150 on my local craigslist. Asus said they can sell me a refurbished model at a reduced price, but ONLY if they cannot fix my Nexus 7, and they also require that I send my old Nexus 7 to them and that I pay the shipping. That means that the REAL cost is whatever they charge for the refurb PLUS the salvage value (ebay/craigslist selling price) PLUS the cost of return shipping. Going this route (only if Asus says they cannot fix it), you would end up paying far more than just buying a new 16GB Nexus 7 from Google Play for $199.

Another option is to send my Nexus 7 to Asus for repair, but that is even MORE expensive. In the end, I still have a refurbished Nexus 7 (with additional time delay for them to refurbish MY nexus 7), but with additional costs involved. How much? The cost of return shipping PLUS $204 for a replacement touchscreen. Remember that I can buy a NEW 16GB Nexus 7 for $199, in which case I still have my OLD unit with the damaged touchscreen, which I can resell for even SMALLER total cost, or I can use it without the touchscreen.

How can I use a Nexus 7 with broken touchscreen? Get a USB OTG cable, and plug in a USB mouse. I tried it. It works. I have a rooted kernel though, but you can root it without a touchscreen if you need to.

My Nexus 7 is currently working with a wireless keyboard with mouse touchpad, the size of a TV remote control, with a tiny wireless dongle that enumerates as a USB keyboard and mouse (and even works in a Windows PC when you boot to the BIOS).

Anyway, I am very unhappy with both Google and Asus now, for their RAPE-level prices for "warranty" repairs. My Nexus 7 only slipped off the 2-foot high nightstand next to my bed, onto a wood floor. It must have hit "just right", because that is all it took. Getting it fixed costs FAR MORE than just buying a new one at Google Play, especially if you sell your old one at the going salvage rate ($75 to $150) or if you keep the old one as a spare and just use it with a mouse.

If you do try to replace the screen, beware that a replacement screen AND "digitizer" costs at least $165 on ebay and you need to wait for it to arrive from Hong Kong. Cheaper units are missing parts (either no touchscreen or no LCD panel), and you cannot replace only those parts because the LCD and broken touchscreen glass are bonded together in a Nexus 7.

Even so, you may find it interesting to see HOW to replace the screen and digitizer/touchscreen in a Nexus 7 (just for educational purposes):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC2aGLseN64

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-09-2013 at 04:01 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote