View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Exclamation No future for this device

I've read and seen your Jetbook Color reviews, pics and vids 'til now.

I'm a big fan of e-reading, I try a new reader everytime I can, I was really curious about the Triton screen + the good resolution of this Jetbook. But now that I can make my opinion about it, I am VERY disappointed.

BASING ON WHAT I'VE READ AND SEEN from other users (I think it's enough for a first idea), here's what I think:
  1. Hard on eyes
    it seems HARDLY readable at home, unless you like to use a very strong white lamp straight over your head, pointed to the reader's screen. Like the one used for the video review. It'll be good under sunlight, no doubts. But to my eyes, this background results probably darker than the most crappy Sipix, although the black is very intense. How are your eyes supposed to stand hours of reading on this?
  2. Lost opportunity
    If it sported a pearl without the colored layer on it, with this resolution and a maximum of 350 dollars price, it could run to become the best 9,7" currently in production.
  3. Which developement if sales don't go?
    This is a project with a high risk to be dead soon. All the hype is about the "color", but when people will understand what are they talking about, sales will decrease and developement will stop, so people who bought it will only have complaints about it.
  4. Price too high for the risk (and is this real innovation?)
    500 dollars in a device which may be never developed is a too high risk. This does not feature anything new for the educational sector*, I'm an IT teacher for kids and a researcher on digital literacy. Even the Entourage Edge, a way more advanced idea, failed with sales (although after 2 years, despite being discontinued, it's being adopted in a few russian schools). The huge Amazon never developed the DXG, a 9,7" which can't even do a reflow on pdf, and still is sold at 379 dollars. Pocketbook left the 903, Asus treated his dr900 like a prototype, etc. This is a delicate field, no one big e-paper reader had a real success on the market. Why should Jetbook win?
  5. It's slow!
    We know how much can a software be developed, but hey: this is still TOO slow, for a device which goes out in 2012. An owner even described it as slower than the DXG and my jaw dropped: believe me (I have it) the DXG is one of the slowest 9,7" reader out there, on pdf managing.

I'm very sorry but I'm not able to see any future for this. I didn't see any brilliant, innovative ideas behind it. The readibility is a too big problem, combined with the huge selling price and all the uncertainties about its developement, which is very far from being mature (Yes everyone can swear it won't ever stop, but if sales are weak, developement dies).

* See also one of his competitors for russ schools, plastic logic 100

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-25-2012 at 10:14 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote