View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Are the InDesign files styled exactly the same throughout the 20 books (using the same classes consistently throughout the works)?

If so, you could come up with a set of Regex to help clean up a lot of the code. Then you can have a single consistent CSS file which can be used in all 20.

This is what I did at work for one of our quarterly journals, and now hours of editing has been wittled down to clicking a button to run a set of Regex in Sigil.

Most of the time is then spent:
  • Coming up with the universal CSS file.
    • Trying to emulate the look of the original document while sticking with maximum compatibility with most devices.
  • Cleaning up code that the regex missed.
    • Adjusting regex so conversion of future journals will be even faster. (This is VERY dependent on the original designer being consistent with their style usage).
  • Fixing/regenerating images.
  • Checking on an actual ereader.

If you want to send me a sample or two of an InDesign EPUB + original document (PDF?), I wouldn't mind taking a look.

My Background: I work for a non-profit economics site, most of my work is going from PDF scans -> EPUB, and I have completed 150+ books so far. I do not have any experience with Quark output (doesn't hurt messing with something new), and I have a tiny bit of experience with output directly from InDesign.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 07-24-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote