View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For me the answer is "don't use PDF". Use a format such as Mobi, which allows the reader to determine what font size to use.
I understand that point, Harry. But proper typesetting is sufficiently complex that I dare say it is (or at least going to be for some time) impossible to create documents that can resize to a font size not explicitly anticipated and accounted for by the typesetter. After all, changing the font size even in a latex document almost always means manual/human fixing up of the results is again required.

In other words, though correct me if I am wrong, the choice seems to be between professionally typeset eBooks and eBooks with resizable fonts. I get the impression that many people prefer the convenience of the latter at the expense of the former (assuming the results are not too atrocious).

This makes me think that the best solution would be if multiple PDF files (one for each font size) could be encased in a single one, letting the reader choose which they want to view.

Short of that though, you really don't think, Harry, that PDF files provided in multiple font sizes could address the same problem almost as well?
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote