View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #90
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that perhaps your 'protest' isn't quite up there with the likes of Parks, Ghandi or MLK. Fifty years from now, people aren't exactly going to be reading in the history books about Iphinome's fight against the evil of DRMed ebooks. I dare say stripping DRM, or arguing that books/music/movies/whatever else are overpriced, isn't quite as significant to humanity as fighting racism, fascism, oppression or tyranny. But, hey, maybe that's just me.
given that practically all of human civilisation and advancement in every area (arts, science, philosophy...) has been a matter of building on what has come before, and that (ironically...) it was precisely to foster the cultural enrichment of humanity *as a whole* that copyright was in fact first created, actually i'd say the preservation and continued expansion of the public domain is of a primordial importance to all of us. our shared culture is perhaps the main thing which sets us apart from other animals.

as a corollary, the expression "those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it" comes to mind ; the public domain acts (in part, not exclusively) as a repository for history so that we don't forget it. and that suddenly gives it new importance for other fights against things like fascism, oppression, racism, tyranny...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote