View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I read the 1600 page version and it is worth reading, one could read quickly through the ' flowery' descriptions, but these form part of the 'cultural' charm of the book. It all is such a different world from our western world, but is refered to in the asiatic parts more than one would think. I was in a bit of doubt about presenting this book because of the many pages. Ahem.... My other choice for this opening would have been the Mahabharata........
There's a newer abridged translation than Monkey which I've borrowed from Overdrive, called The Monkey King's Amazing Adventures. I'd like to read the whole shebang, but I couldn't manage it for a timely discussion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I'm not too interested in The Song of Roland, but I'm wondering if there is any connection to Roland the gunslinger in the King series. I read 3 or 4 of that series years ago before deciding that I really didn't like it and it wasn't worth more of my time.
Not a King fan so I can't help you there, but I'm snickering a bit ruefully at your having read several of the series before abandoning it. Comrade! How many series have I continued with beyond any vestigial interest on my part at all? Maisie Dobbs, I'm looking at you in particular, but alas, you're part of a largish crowd.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote