View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
CuriousGrrl
Kindle lover/Linux user
CuriousGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Keeping Calibre customizations in sync across multiple copies

I am using Calibre at home and at work, on Ubuntu Linux, Windows XP, and Windows 7 (all are using 0.7.43). I keep my ebook library on Dropbox so I always have access to it. I just discovered how to to add some neat custom columns and I want to make sure that data will be available to all my copies of Calibre.

What is the best way to make sure that any Calibre customizations (including plugins, plugin customizations, custom columns, saved searches, etc) can be somewhat kept in sync amongst my various copies of Calibre? Is it even possible?

If not, will I be doing any harm to my metadata.db by making updates in my home copy of Calibre when I only have custom columns in my work copy of Calibre (primarily I use the Linux version at home and work). I don't want to lose any custom column data when the Dropbox metadata.db gets updated by a non-custom-column-having copy of Calibre, for example.

Also, am I doing any harm in sharing the metadata.db between Linux and Windows? The only problem I read about was issues with filename naming conventions (Linux respecting upper/lowercase and Windoze ignoring it), but I was hoping keeping the files on Dropbox would eliminate differences between OS filesystems.
CuriousGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote