View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Ereader.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Dunstan View Post

Compared to competing formats such as encrypted PDF or .LIT, one advantage of eReader DRM, he goes on, is that it does not prevent the customer from moving his e-book from one device to another. Plus, eReader books stay available for download in an online bookshelf for an unlimited time (unless eReader.com goes bancrupt or is sold to another company, I'd say).
IMHO, it is STILL DRM and it sucks. I have been an ereader.com customer since buying my first Palm in the 90s. The reader is okay, the DRM isn't too awful. Stopped carrying a Palm and switched to an Ipod Touch, and luckily ereader came out with Ipod reader software. But now I own a Kindle DX- and I can't read those e-books on a DX. Pisses me off.

But perhaps the biggest reason that I have switched away from ereader is pricing. When amazon released a kindle reader for the Ipod touch (before I had my DX- back in March), I started comparing prices between ereader and the kindle store. Often, I noticed that kindle was $10 or more cheaper than ereader. So why would I buy a bunch of nebulous bits from ereader when I can get the same nebulous bits cheaper at kindle?

Of the past 25 or 30 e-book purchases I have made, most were from kindle, because they were cheaper or were unavailable at ereader. E-book prices still need to go lower- my guess is $5 or $6. And either get rid of the DRM or make your format available on all popular devices.

I have spent enough money on books and music and movies in my life that I am pretty tired of listening to the twits that support DRM. If I buy something I should have full and unfettered use of it. That's why I did a jailbreak on my Ipod- I bought it, so why won't Apple use all of its functionality? Now I can use ssh and other neat stuff on it......
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote