View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I agree with Andybaby as far as where to get started, Hugo's winners and nominees are a good list.

One comment - don't be afraid to go back as old as you want if it sounds interesting - it "is" sci/fi and most of it doesn't get "dated/old" like general fiction and mysteries and such. I'd say you're really safe from 1966 forward and there are plenty non-dated books before that. In my opinion there isn't any real category called "classics" in sci/fi such as is in other genres (even including fantasy which seems to ride waves of topicality and change style somewhat). No sci/fi classics in a sense of a different writing (or musical) style, only in a sense of "much accoladed and loved".

The nominees and winners are for the most part - just one giant lump of goodness and those from 1966 could have been written last week. We'll all have our own thoughts about which stand out but everyone is different and has their own preferences. Just jump in anywhere. And I'd have to agree again with Andybaby, Old Man's War is probably the best one written since 2000's Deepness in the Sky. If you want better, think you'll have to go back further than 2000.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-05-2009 at 06:01 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote